Monday, April 7, 2008

Where's Spring?

As we stood in the pouring wintery rain at yesterday's little league game it seemed like spring was AWOL. The game was called at the top of the 3rd due to rain. The sky was heavy, with thick piles of cold air and lashes of precipitation. Cleverly, I was announcing in the booth and had my on typical Spring clothing - my ski base layer, a fleece sweater, a down vest, baseball cap and my Helly Hansen rain suit. I love that suit! it keeps me dry in the worst that the Lower Mainland can dish out. After 14 years of early Spring baseball, my motto is "Dress for Winter!"


Spring is about to blossom forth and in the Vancouver region, that is a splendid and beautiful thing.. Already, my garden is sporting a luminous green attire as hostas sprout and unfurl. Buds swell to bursting. The ornamental cherries and magnolias are proclaiming their majesty in streets of exquisite flowering canopies. The plants can't lie. There will be spring and one look at my garden and hope "Springs" eternal.

Two of the early signs of spring in my garden are the lush green emerging hostas and the Magnolia "Leonard Messel".

No comments: