Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Tribute to Paul McCartney


Buy Buy
Says the Sign in the Shop Window
Why Why
Says the Junk in the Yard

Paul McCartney

I have always found that there is a Beatle song for every topic and although "Junk" by Paul McCartney was not a Beatle song, it was written by a Beatle, so close enough. Anyway, to take break from junk to the sublime, I wanted to pay homage to Paul McCartney, a musical genius of incandescent brilliance who has performed a large part of the soundtrack to my life. I just watched "Good Evening New York City" - a DVD about a concert Sir Paul did in Citi Field in the summer of 2009. It included 33 songs, 31 by Paul, one by John Lennon and one by Geaorge Harrison. What is staggering to contemplate is that he could have performed an entirely different collection of 33 Lennon/McCartney or McCartney songs and it would have been just as amazing. I cannot think of another living soul who has such a vast, global reservoir of love and good will among people throughout the world.

Thank you Paul, for creating so much joy and pleasure In My Life. And thanks too to the other 3 Beatles, the dearly departed John Lennon, George Harrison and the indispensible Ringo. You'll Never Know How Much We Really Love You.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Beatles were seminal musical influences as I matured from adolescence into adulthood.

Beginning with the first hit of theirs I ever heard back in my high school days, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Do You Want to Know a Secret", I picked out something special in Paul's bass playing. He was an intuitive musical genius, and as I would later learn so were John and George. Yes, even George. And Ringo's drums were indeed indispensable.

I have never grown tired of their songs, and every time I listen to one of them, I gain new insight. Pick a song, any song, and it's still in my ears and in my eyes.